Why You Need This And How To Get The Most Out Of It
“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” —RICHARD BACH
ONLY YOU Your passion, your books, your career, your life, your ability to overcome adversity, your willingness to promote your books, and your potential as a writer and a human being are all embodied in one unique individual: you.
ON OUR PREMISES The Entrepreneurial Author Community is based on the following premises:
- You want to build a successful career as an author.
- You want to sell your books to a major publisher (like Morgan James).
- You know little or nothing about publishing and promotion.
- You want the recognition and rewards you will earn by becoming a successful author.
- You are writing a nonfiction book.
A WHAT-TO GUIDE You will find practical advice throughout this site. But the Entrepreneurial Author Community isn’t a how-to community, it’s a what-to community.
The goals of this community are to
- make you aware of how important promotion is to your books and your career.
- show you the range of free and low-cost guerrilla marketing weapons you can use to be an entrepreneurial author and, in turn, make your books successful.
- be an enjoyable experience.
The Entrepreneurial Author Community will help you promote your first book, but its value will grow with every book you write. The more books you write and the more strategies you use, the more powerful the community becomes.
This is why we use the phrase “your books.” You’ll see the word “your” often because the books you write are yours no matter who publishes them, and we want you to feel pride of ownership for them and accept responsibility for what happens to them.
The best editor, publisher and contract can make an enormous difference in what happens to your books. But ultimately, how well you conceive, write and promote them will be the most important factors determining their fate—long before and forever after the pub date.
DOLLARS AND SENSE One of our goals is to make sense of your role in promoting your books and to show you how to save money and make it in the process:
- Sixty-three weapons in the book are free.
- Twenty are low cost, meaning either that they cost less than one hundred dollars or they cost only as much as you can afford to spend on them before you use a substitute. For example, over time, printing and mailing your media kit will cost more than one hundred dollars. However, you can spend only what your budget allows and E-mail just your news releases when you exhaust your budget.
- Eight weapons in the book are expensive, so you will have to use your ingenuity or your patience until you can afford them.
- Twelve weapons can help you earn a living. If, for example, you can build your speaking career well enough, you won’t have to worry about royalties.
THINKING LIKE AN ENTREPRENEURIAL AUTHOR We want to help you minimize expenses. But until you write your breakout book, you will have to take Theodore Roosevelt’s advice to “do what you can with what you have where you are.”
Even if your promotional budget is limitless, you still don’t want to waste money, and you still want your promotional campaign to have maximum impact. Whatever the size of your budget, we will help you get the biggest bang for your buck.
One goal of your promotion plan is to convince potential publishers of your commitment to your books. But you also need to prove that you’re a professional who knows what you’re doing.
The most important thing we can do for you is hidden between the lines: inspiring you to think like an entrepreneurial author. Don’t think like a writer who has something to say; think like an author who has a lifetime of books, products and services to sell—an author who knows what it takes to make books sell and will be totally committed to doing it. Then you will be a guerrilla marketer and an entrepreneurial author.
Hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs around the world, who started businesses of all kinds with more hope, commitment and ability than experience, have adapted the weapons in this community to make their businesses succeed.
We are confident that if you follow our advice with all of your books, using more weapons as you go along, your profits will repay the cost of this community thousands of times over. We’re counting on you to prove we’re right. Welcome to the guerrilla family.
GETTING WHAT YOU NEED ASAP Like you, your books are unique. So how can you find what you need from this community as quickly as possible? Here are six suggestions that may help you:
- Review the site, checking off the modules you can use.
- Skim the site to get an idea of what the modules are.
- Go through the training modules to see which strategies you think you can use and take those first.
- Forget about logic and go through the modules in any order you wish.
- Pick the modules you want to use in your promotion plan, and then devise a strategy for promoting your book following our advice.
“The book didn’t sell because I didn’t promote it.” —THE MOST VISIBLE HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET (President Bill Clinton, author of Between Hope and History. Meeting America’s Challenges for the 21st Century)
Now let’s get started…